Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Bangla man

I didn't knew what to do on Xmas eve morning. My self esteem was dragged two feet below the ground. My mind was blank and I was upset for obvious reasons. I didn't felt like talking to anyone unless the listener had a solution. The problems were all self made and were nothing serious but for some unknown and wierd reasons I assumed myself to be the embodiment of sorrow.

I didnt had any intention to stay home. I took off for a small ride through the city for sight seeing and to find something that excites me (although I had no idea what I wanted and hey... thats life right ??  ;p).

I bought a small bottle of red wine and decided to take a random bus for my ride. The plan was to get off the bus when my bottle was empty. This is a random shit I do sometimes when my life lacks excitement. In such a ride I am very open to all sorts of people. I meet random people and initiate conversation and listen to them. The point is to learn something new. So this was the plan on Xmas day.

I bought my red wine and before drinking it, took a healthy vegetarian breakfast and proceeded to walk to the bus stop. I came across this Bangla guy who stopped me waving a piece of paper. I assumed he wanted to know the direction to some place of the which the address was written on the paper. He handed over the paper to me but it was some kind of prescription. I looked at him puzzled and this man started talking to me in gibberish. I interrupted and asked him to talk slowly so that I can understand. Well he was a construction worker and came Singapore only recently. He had an accident and needed medical attention for his left arm which I noticed he was holding a little bend. In no time I realized that he was begging and trust me, I am not very sensitive towards beggars probably because I am not a very good person. I have no respect towards people who are lazy. People should work and earn. Thats my theory.

I clearly knew that this young man was faking an injury and trying get money from me as he was wearing a full sleeve and I couldn't really see what was wrong with his arm.  I told him I didn't had any money with me and decided to walk away without wanting to waste any further of his energy to convince me. Then he pulled up his sleeves and showed me his injured arm.. There were stitches on it and was having some pus on it. I felt bad and even empathised for him. I asked him what I could do for him. He was telling me that he needed nearly 1500$ to settle his medical expense. That was a huge amount and I was not in a position to help anyone financially at that point. I couldnt simply walk away from him either. I was not that kind of a bad person afterall as I felt the helplessness he was going through. I was sure nobody would help him as I have seen Bangla people are not treated nicely as most people hold a prejudice against them.

I told him I couldnt help him financially as the amount was too big. He said any small amount would be helpful. I gave him whatever was left in my wallet which amounted close to 20 bucks. I gave it to him and said "I only have these". He took it with gratitude and thanked me. I was not sure if that money would be of any use to him. I felt really bad for myself but also felt that I was stupid to give away money to a stranger. I went my way.

This man kept bugging me all day. I wondered how he would get medical for his injury. How he would go back home safely and get some care? Does his parents or wife know about this? Is he stuck here? So many such thoughts started worrying me.

His boss or sponsor should have shown some humanity towards this young man. You cant treat people this way. This is wrong. I dont think these construction workers are given enough care by their bosses. They are transported on back of trucks. I feel bad when I see these. They are the most hard working people in Singapore to my knowledge. Even if its a hot day or rainy day, you can see them working. When Singapore was on Haze some time back, these workers were still working despite caring for their health when most companies gave off for their employees who were working indoors.

I realized that it was a christmas eve day and everyone were not happy. Neither was I. I also realized that my problems were so miniscule in comparison to the Bangla man and I was clinging on to that meaningless sorrow for nothing even though it soothened me like a drug.  

No comments:

രാഗം

നിനച്ചിടാത്തൊരു പകൽക്കിനാവു പോൽ- വന്നണഞ്ഞെൻ    ഹൃദയ തന്ത്രിയിൽ നീ.  പകച്ചു നിന്നൊരെന്നന്തരങ്കത്തിൻ- തുടിപ്പ് നിന...